Convincing Win After Break

After an extended winter break town finally took to the pitch again. New signing gardiner was in the starting eleven, but the Lurgan men had to reshuffle from their last outing due to injuries and suspensions.

It was the home side who started brightly, Millen was really starting on the front foot taking it to the broomhedge defenders. Nine minutes where on the clock and town struck the first of eight goals, good build up play through the thirds of the pitch from J.adams, L.adams then an inch perfect pass from the debut boy gardiner set up an unmarked gargasas who riffled in a shot from distance. The second wasn’t long coming when gregg turned his man and got to the byline and the pull back looked certain to fall into the path of again the unmarked gargasas for simple tap in but it bounced of an unfortunate defender into the empty net. The away team seemed to be struggling with the fast build up play from Lurgan town. On the half way mark a headed clear corner from broomhedge was only to fall to symth who calmly volleyed the ball with his instep from easily twenty five yards past the out rushing defense and into the top corner of the net, a goal any striker would be extremely happy with. Half time was fast approaching when millen beat his man again and was brought down for what looked a certain penalty, a fourth goal at this stage would have killed off the game but the appeal was turned down from the referee.

Half time

The fourth goal wasn’t long in coming, it was the away side who scored it much to the dismay of the town players. This seemed to send a jolt of energy to the Lurgan men who quickly responded with their fourth goal of their own, when a scramble at the edge of the box the ball fell to the feet of gregg who swivelled and smashed the ball through the arms of the keeper. The game started to move end to end now and the hedge got another foothold in the match when a poorly cleared corner was knocked back in over the town players heads and was tucked away lovely by the striker who had the whole 18 yard box to himself. Credit to the senior lads in the Lurgan town team who rallied again for a quick response. Millen slipped a pass inside to gargasas who in turn passed the ball into the corner of the net past the despairing keeper. The fifth goal definitely knocked the stuffing out of a determined broomhedge side. Town started to make changes to freshen up the game, Luke adams made way for Ethan Gorman, Josh Milne replacing Morgan symth. Both substituted players can be very happy with their days work. Number six wasn’t long in coming as gardiner took a short corner to gregg who curled in a cracking shot into the top corner, the game was slipping away from broomhedge now. Lucas Greggson was the final sub for Wiltshire, a well deserved rest for the centre midfielder. With Milne, adams, judge knocking the ball about at the back, the relentless smiley took charge and bombed down the wing to play a defense splitting pass to Millen, the young winger cut into the box and put the ball on a plate for the livewire Gorman to sweep in the seventh goal for the home team. Chances where falling regularly to the front men, debutant gardiner again foiled by the keeper, gregg and gargasas coming close with free kicks from distance. The final embers of the game seen a man of the match performance from Timmy Millen capped off with a well worked goal, Young gregson played a neat one two with Gorman then played an inch perfect through ball to millen who rounded the unrushing goal keeper and coolly finished into the empty goal, a perfect day day for him who linked up well with smiley and ran broomhedge ragged all day. On a slight frustrating note, Boyce in goals for town can feel aggrieved he hasn’t came away with another clean sheet as a lapse of concentration in ten minutes of the second half from the outfield players has cost him, when called upon the goal keeper has kept the ball moving fast and set up attacks all day.

An eight – two victory in the first weekend back from Christmas, the players can go home happy with the display, a big thank you to the healthy home crowd who turned out on a chilly afternoon. Man of the match goes to Timmy Millen.