Under 14s In Seventh Heaven

The Lurgan boys were ecstatic this morning as it brought the first game of the season after a long wait.

Lurgan Town travelled to Dromore on a cold, windy Saturday morning to face a Lower Maze team that they had not played against before. The squad was missing a couple of key players as Sloane was on family holidays and McAlinden was nursing an injury picked up in the recent weeks’ training. Luckily this was Thornbury’s first time back with the squad after being out for a while with an ankle injury. However, this did not faze the rest of the squad as they all were concentrated on kicking the league off with 3 points.

The first half Lurgan started the stronger of the two sides. The constant pressure of the midfield especially down the left hand side, with Davison and Pedlow linking up causing havoc. As the half carried on it was only a matter of time before Lurgan broke the deadlock, with Gorman who was looking sharp in the midfield and unleashing a few shots. The first from range needing a great stop from the Lower Maze goalkeeper and second were only the bar could stop him from close range. At this point it was all one way traffic and Lurgan could have been 3 up if wasn’t for fines saves and equally missed chances from close range. As it grew closer to the half Lower Maze had a couple of great chances however, the backline of Pedlow, Mercer, Hutchinson and Balfour were dealing well and McCann in nets pulling of a couple of great saves.

On the strike of half time after a number of dangerous corners applied by Davison finally paid off. From the right side Davison delivered a frightening cross were the ball wasn’t dealt well with at the front post leaving Gorman a tap in finish on the line. 1-0 (30mins).

Halftime: Lurgan Town 1-0 Lower Maze

It didn’t take the Lurgan boys long in the second half to add to the scoreline. Again, another dangerous corner from Davison seen Dillon beating his man and heading home from close range at the front post. 2-0 (31mins). With the wind behind our sails there was no slowing down by the Lurgan boys. Only a few minutes later Balfour marshalled the ball forward before confidently finding a long swept pass over the top to Davison, who then calmly stroked the ball into the far corner. 3-0 (33mins). With Balfour’s confidence running high he attempted a long range strike well over 30 yards only marginally missing the top corner of Lower Maze’s net.

Half way through the second half is when the captain got his turn on the score sheet. Tight in the left hand corner Dobrowolski whipped in a deep cross which was met by Gorman, who done his best to set up Trainor up who confidently slid the ball low past the keeper. 4-0 (45mins). Soon after Davison was put through where he delivered a great cross deep over the defences heads to find Dobrowolski, who drilled it home. 5-0 (47mins).

Credit to Lower Maze who never gave up throughout the game resulting in them creating a few more chances, thankfully McCann was alert and solid with his saves to earn his cleansheet. With the last 5 minutes on the watch Dobrowolski delivered a great corner which caused a scramble at the goal Mouth. First Turkington with the header which was cleared of the line by the defender, then Mercer with the attempt blocked by the keeper, Finally was Krol who struck home. 6-0 (55mins). On the last kick of the game seen Krol with a great cross field ball finding Dobrowolski, who unselfishly cut back his pass the leave Dillon an open net. 7-0 (59mins).

Final score: Lurgan Town 7-0 Lower Maze

Related Posts

Upcoming Events x