Firsts Progress In Radcliff Cup

Saturday’s First Team game against Seagoe started with both teams setting up with attacking formations and feeling each other out in the early stages. Dean Heasley tested Adam Craig in the Lurgan nets early on with a stinging shot, which the young keeper beat away to safety.

At the other end, Rowney the Seagoe keeper, was equal to good play between Heaney and Gargasas, and smothered well. Adam Craig’s kicking from the ground was causing Seagoe’s defence real problems and as the game edged on, Lurgan Town looked really dangerous on the break.

Andrew Heaney opened the scoring for Town

The break through in the game arrived, when great play from the impressive Wiltshire in midfield, as he ghosted past two challenges and slipped in Heaney who raced clear of the Seagoe defence and scored with a fine left foot finish into the bottom right hand corner to make it 1-0.

Lurgan’s defence of Smiley, Joel Adams and McPolin were dealing well with any attack Seagoe had as Gilpin and Stewart looked dangerous for the home side. Half time 1-0.

The second half started as brightly as did the first half, with Seagoe on the front foot this time, putting a few crosses into the box, however Craig came and dealt with ease. Luke Adams, Warren and Wiltshire had a hold of the midfield battle and looked hungry for first and second balls, and it began peg Seagoe back. Good work again by McNally, played in Gargasas who took on the defender before slipping in Heaney, who let rip, only for Rowney to make a wonderful save and tip over.

Seagoe to their credit took it as a wake up call and started to peg Lurgan Town back, with numerous crosses into the box, but the excellent Town defence had a clean sheet in their eyesight and you could tell with some great defending. Seagoe were unlucky not to be awarded a penalty, when a tug back on the centre forward was waived away.

As the game arrived into the last 20 mins, the deciding goal came when the impressive Hamilton, in a new role, found the ball break to him on the right hand side, and whipped in a superb ball, which seen the defender swing wildly and divert past the helpless Rowney. 2-0 and probably just reward for how the Lurgan boys had played throughout the game. Lurgan introduced the dangerous Millen, and his pace caused all sorts of problems late on, meaning Seagoe couldn’t really commit any more forward than what they already had as the threat was still there. Seagoe had the final chance of the game, in the form of a goal mouth scramble, but Craig was equal to again to round off an impressive afternoon for the young keeper. Full Time 2-0.

Man of the Match – Adam Craig who was making his first team debut for the season, and didn’t put a foot wrong in nets. Some crucial saves, but also posing a serious attacking threat with his pin point kicks.

Man of the Match – Adam Craig

Full credit must go to each and every member of the match day squad, who have really pulled together in the last few weeks, not only in training but in games to put in some solid performances. Thanks to Seagoe for their hospitality after the match, laying on a fantastic spread.