Last Minute Equaliser

Last Friday night saw Lurgan Town Reserves travel to Holm Park to face Armagh City Reserves, on the back of an impressive 4-0 victory on the opening day.

Armagh started the more dominant team and they were rewarded with a goal 10 minutes into the game. Town fought back immediately and on 15mins were level through Niall McBride. Adam Scorah’s run from deep give him time and space to pick out Niall who chipped it over the keeper.

Again Armagh took the lead on 20 mins when their midfielder slid the ball through for their
striker to score giving Adam Craig no chance. This goal seemed to spur Town on, they began to get a grip on the game with the midfield 3 of
Trainor, Wiltshere and Burns getting control of the ball and starting to play prodding balls into
the front line of Matty Strain and Niall. Lurgan should have went into the half time break winning but unfortunately didn’t take their chances. HT 2-1 Armagh.

Same again was the message from Matt Hollis and Colm Nash but that we needed to be more
clinical. Town came out the second half on a mission knowing that this game was there for them to win. This was epitomised by young Jordan Dawson by not giving their winger a second to breathe and timing his tackles to perfection which really set the tone of the second half.

Lurgan had great opportunities to equlaise and if it hadn’t been for Armagh’s keeper in fine form it would’ve been. Three saves in a row – Matty Strain two great efforts and Niall another. Three brilliant saves, and Scott Wiltshire followed up with a long range effort and the keeper again saves. With 20 mins to go Town brought on Adil Falia and Alex Woods to inject more pace into the game.

With the game drawing to a close Town gained
a corner kick, Adil fizzed in a glorious ball straight to the back post for Morgan Smyth to bustle it in at the back post. Morgan’s first goal for the Reserves that came with relief to the players and management knowing that they deserved something out of this game.

Town almost nicked all 3 points at the end when a free kick swung in by James Lindsay was met by Callum Grieve who saw his effort go straight at the keeper.