Comfortable Win For U15s

Back with League Cup action this week at the Arena and a lot to prove after a nightmare against Dungannon last weekend. Coming into todays game with a threadbare squad due to injurys and a school trip the boys were going to have to dig in and hope we came through with out any further injuries. Town started the game very positively driving forward at every opportunity and opened the scoring when Ethan Gorman threaded a great ball through to Spencer Young who still had plenty of work to do, gathered the pass and using his strength to hold off the opposition defender got himself into a position where he had a clear run on goal and made no mistake with the finish, Town extended their lead shortly after, winning a free kick 35 yards out from goal, Adam Vennard stepped up and hit a fierce drive into the roof of the net with a shot that most keepers would have struggled to keep out. Lurgan kept piling the pressure on and stretched the lead further when Spencer collected the ball on the left wing, beating his marker for pace he raced the ball to the byline before just cutting back enough to get his shot away, watching it sail by the outstretched keeper and into the net. Town where still not finished though and rounded off the half with a wonderfully worked team goal, played from the centre of the park to Kyle White on the right who played a quick lay back to Tom Leatham who with quick thinking played a lovely ball over the top and further down the line to Spencer Young, Spencer then slipped the ball on to Kyle White who had made an overlapping run, Kyle squared a perfect pass across the front of goal to Ronan Watkins who finished at the back post… This was football that was a pleasure to watch. Half time 4-0 to the Town lads.

The second half began slightly disjointed with a few mistakes made but within five minutes the boys had regained composure and control of the play although it took a good fifteen minutes of the half before they extended their lead further this time from an indirect free kick 6 yards out from goal when the ref judged the opposition keeper to have lifted a back pass. Spencer Young played the ball back to Josh Johnston who took a touched sidestepped a challenge and made sure the shot hit the back of the net, it was one way traffic at this stage and Town added their 6th goal of the game when Ethan Gorman after some great work down the left hand side played a great ball across the box which was met by Kyle White who made a great run from the right wing and struck the ball high into the net. Josh Johnston got his second of the game playing off the last man a ball was slipped through from the centre of the park, Josh got the run on his marker taking a couple of touches before putting it beyond the reach of the keeper, soon after Josh rounded of the day with a second half hatrick. Kyle Thompson played the ball from the back through Tom Leatham in the midfield to Josh who again made sure the ball hit the back of the net to make it 8-0 to the Lurgan boys. Spencer Young who had been a thorn in side of the opposition back line all game, already on 2 goals wasn’t prepared to play second fiddle and when he found himself through on goal also claimed his hatrick on the day. Adam Vennard rounded off the game with his second and Towns 10th goal when the ball broke to him in the box he let fly leaving the keeper with no chance. The game finished 10-0 to Town.

Scoreline aside it was encouraging to watch the style of football played by the boys today, shifting the ball around the pitch quickly finding our players with our passes, pressing when not in possession and clinical in front of goal. Today was an all round performance right across the team solid from front to back with everyone playing their part. This is the football the coaches would like to see more consistently for the remainder of the season. A big positive is there are no further injuries with all the boys making it through unscathed. We would like to wish the Tandragee keeper a speedy recovery after having to be withdrawn late in the first half due to a hip injury. Next week is back to the Arena again for more league cup action against St Marys.

Team: James Hamilton, Tom Leatham, Adam Vennard (2), Kyle Thompson, James Maguire, Aidan Cassidy, Ben Cullen, Ronan Watkins (1), Ethan Gorman, Spencer Young (3), Josh Johnston (3), Kyle White (1).