U15s Lose Out In Top Of Table Clash

This week Town made the trip to Armagh with both teams in the driving seat and authors of their own destiny in regards to the title run in. This was a big game and a big performance was needed from the Lurgan boys, unfortunately as in previous weeks Town were slow to start but the difference with previous weeks was that Town grew into the game, this week they never got out of first gear. Armagh pressed and harried right from the first whistle dominating the ball. The town midfield were very disjointed, continuously handing possession back to the opposition with stray and rushed passes. Town however did go closest early on when a Ben Cullen free kick was just tipped over the bar by the Armagh keeper. Armagh stuck to their game plan and went about the game the hungrier for the win. After testing and exposing the left flank on a couple of occasions the home side eventually opened the scoring when an Armagh winger was able to run the ball to the by line with an attempt to play across goal to the incoming Armagh striker, Kyle Thompson worked hard to reach the ball first and cut out the pass although was very unfortunate to turn it into his own net at the near post while at full stretch. Armagh stretched their lead within 10 minutes of their first goal when Town did not clear the ball despite 3 or 4 chances in and around the 18 yard line, the ball broke to an Armagh striker who could not believe his luck and he was not left wanting with his finish. Armagh went into half time with a very comfortable 2-0 lead.

A big effort was required in the second half to enable Town to get back into the game, but Armagh were not prepared to sit back and allow that to happen, and continued to work hard pouncing on every lose ball and quick to press to win back when not in possession. Ricky Aruajo and Spencer Young came on for Josh Johnston and Ronan Watkins who had a very frustrating first half due to lack of service coming their way. As the game went on Ricky began to see more of the ball and became a dangerous outlet on the left hand side stretching the game more, the best chance of the game for Town involved both players with Spencer collecting the ball on the right hand side he was able to create enough space to swing a cross into the box which in turn was met by the head of Ricky who was unfortunate not to score but other than that the Armagh keeper had very little to do during the course of the game. Armagh managed the game out well to take all three well deserved points on a day when Town simply failed to turn up, leaving the title run in as advantage Armagh.

This was a very frustrating day, where nothing seemed to click and players looking around to see who else could be blamed for their mistakes. The performance between last week and this week was very Jekyl and Hyde resulting in todays game being the first time this season the Lurgan boys have drawn blank in front of goal. Big improvements needed starting with next weeks cup game against Lurgan Town Predators.

Team: James Hamilton, Tom Leatham, Kyle Thompson, Adam Vennard, Mark Christie, Ben Cullen, Josh Johnston, Ronan Watkins, Mackenzie Craig, Ethan Gorman, James Maguire, Spencer Young, Ricardo Aruajo, Jake Turner.