Played Well Despite Result

Lurgan Town U14 Lisburn League team took on Windmill Stars on Saturday. Before the game, both teams had a minutes silence before their game to remember their former team mate Cameron Truesdale who lost his brave battle for life on Thursday. He will be sorely missed by the whole team & club.

The match was a bit scrappy for the first 10 mins until Town’s keeper Diarmuid Whitmarsh was called in action with two great saves with in a minutes of each other. Town’s defence of Jack Calvert, Casey Finlay, Ethan Browne & Krisy Cassells were defending for their lives with lots of pressure on them. On 15 mins Windmill won a soft penalty but with Whitmarsh in great form he saved it. This seamed to give the boys the lift they needed when they had their best spell of possession in the match so far. They created a few chances when Patryk Suchonski headed over from a free kick. Then Dylan Emerson shot straight at the keeper for an easy save & Sam McGlade shot just wide.

On 22 mins the dead lock was broken when Windmill scored from the edge of the box high into the top corner. 5 mins later they made it 2 – 0 when the winger cut in from the right, hit a powerful shot which Whitmarsh saved well but the rebound fell straight to the wingers feet & he tapped into the empty net for the second goal of the game. The half ended 2 – 0 to Windmill.

The Town boys started the 2nd half knowing that the next goal in the game was the most important so they were on the attack right form the whistle. Within mins they were back in the game when after a few corners in a row the ball fell kindly for Emerson to stab home from close range. With the score now 2 – 1 to Windmill the boys’ tails were up & they were soon on the attack again with the midfield of Niall Simpson, Harry Cahoon, Patryk Suchonski, Conan Moore & Sam McGlade. They had started to compete better & it was Moore who fired a great shot across the face of goal from the right side of the box.

Jamie Stokes, Luke Vennard & Oliver Spratt then entered the pitch from the bench & with fresh legs & energy they give the boys a big lift. With 15 mins to To town very nearly had the equaliser when Spratt cut a super ball back to the edge of the 18 yard box that found McGlade & with a first time shot the Windmill keeper somehow managed to turn the ball onto the post & then gathered the ball at his feet. Windmill started to enjoy a bit more of the ball in the last 10 mins & it was a pretty open game now going end to end. Ttown had went to 3 at the back & were still pushing hard for the equaliser when they got caught on the break with 5 mins to go. With the score now at 3 – 1  the heads had dropped from the Town boys & Windmill added their 4th in the last min making the final score 4 – 1.

Hard luck for the Town boys who battled hard throughout the whole match. Special mention to Jack Calvert who played left back today. His 1st outfield match for the club. He is normally in nets & you would have thought he had played there all his life. He was brilliant. Well done Jack & also to Diarmuid Whitmarsh in nets for a superb performance.