Game Lost In Last 4 Minutes

Lurgan Town U19s lost in their second semi-final in the space of 2 weeks. This time the team were defeated by Fivemiletown. Lurgan were unbeaten in the previous four occasions the teams had met and most recently defeated them four one. However, Lurgan travelled to play a team that was much changed to previous meetings.

The game overall was fast and furious with little composure as both teams played a lot of long balls instead of getting the ball down to play. There were chances for both teams throughout the game, but the keepers were in excellent form. The first major chance fell to Andy McIvor when he run onto the pass of the game by Lewis McKinley but unfortunately the chance was missed. There were chances for Lewis McKinley, Aaron Winters, Callum Winters, Jack Evans and Tim Millen. At the other end of the pitch Adam Craig was in great form and was well supported by Ryan Upton, Brett Smyth, Simon Wilson, Tim Millen and Ryan Blacoe. The first half was to finish scoreless.

Lurgan changed formation in the second half and Jack Evans had a shot on goal but it was saved. Fivemiletown started to create more chances but found an inspired keeper in Adam Craig. Lewis McKinley hit a swerving free kick that the keeper spilled but Fivemiletowns defence eventually cleared the ball. Mark Boyd almost scored within seconds of coming on as sub. Then the game turned against Lurgan from the 86th minute when Alex Woods ran onto a ball over the defence and he unfortunately had to watch his shot float over the crossbar. Then within 60 seconds Fivemiletown player forced his way through 3 tackles and watch his shot take a massive deflection into Lurgan’s goal. With only 3 minutes left on the clock Lurgan had to push for the equalizer but ended up conceding a second. Lurgan almost got back into it when Andy McIvor watched an overhead kick go over the bar and then Adam Craig ventured up for a corner but headed over.

The game was lost in the last 4 minutes which was hard on Lurgan as they deserved to go to extra time. There were some excellent performances, but Adam Craig was player of the game followed closely by Simon Wilson as he gave his best performance since his return to the club.

The U19s will finish the season on Saturday 12th May with a league game away to Markethill in a season that will see them finish 3rd in the league, finalist in one cup and semifinalists in the other two. A super season for a team that was possibly the youngest team in the league.