Reserves Keep Pressure On

Town Reserves travelled the short distance to Lakeview Park to take on AFC Silverwood Reserves in the league. Town came off the back of a good win on Saturday which gave them confidence against a very dangerous AFC side that had beaten Town twice last season, so the desire was there to gain revenge. The first half was a battle on a very uneven surface  with quality in the final third hard to come by, as neither side could get their passing game going. Towns best chances arrived from set pieces with the AFC keeper holding two headers and a long range free kick from Irvine, while Kidd dealt well with the AFC set pieces. Town did lose McBride to injury, replaced by Matthew Bann who filled the gap seamlessly. Half time 0-0.

AFC came out with all guns blazing for the first 15 minutes of the second half. Kidd made three great stops to deny them and they clipped a post, but Town were looking dangerous on the break with Luke Glenn and Andy McIvor starting to boss the midfield. McNeill had an effort blocked on the line and Houston had an effort saved as the game started to open up. Gray and Evans were brought in to provide some fresh legs on a heavy pitch.

As Town started to increase their pressure they won a penalty after a handball in the box, but Irvine’s penalty was saved low to the keepers left hand side. Town thought they would pay the price but instead were spurred on and took the lead with a superb goal. Glenn dictated play and slalomed through midfield as the ball was moved between him, Gray, Irvine and Houston, with Gray meeting a clipped cross on the volley to open the scoring.

Towns defensive shape was fantastic, with Stokes, Freeburn, Bann and Bunting solid and Trainor providing tieless cover as AFC pushed bodies forward as time was running out, but Town were still dangerous on the break and with five minutes left won another penalty after a trip in the box. This time Houston stepped up but, incredibly, the keeper saved his second of the night, down low to his right this time.

Again this inspired AFC to try and rescue a point but Houston and Evans combined on the break for Evans to slot home a very composed finish to wrap up the points. Another solid win for the team but they need to keep the momentum going with just five games left in the season.

Team: Kidd, Stokes, Freeburn, McBride, Bunting, L Glenn, Trainor, McIvor, McNeill, Irvine, Houston
Subs: Bann (McBride), Gray (McIvor), Evans (McNeill)