Better Second Half Performance

Lurgan Town U13s played Glendowen in the Lisburn league on Saturday morning at the Barbour playing fields & came away with a 5 – 1 win.

The 1st half was a very scrappy affair most of the play being in midfield & there was only a couple of chances for both teams. The 1st of the chances fell to the Town boys when Murphy had a free header in the 6 yard box from an Orr corner. Glendowen had their best chance when their forward was put in one on one with the Town keeper Whitmarsh who made a fine save down to his right. With the score still at 0 – 0 it looked like it was going to be all square at half time but with 2 mins to go to the break Glendowen scored with a snap shot from the edge of the 18 yard box which seemed to catch Whitmarsh off guard & he could only get finger tips to the shot diving to his left & the ball squirmed over the line.

The 2nd half started with Town 1 – 0 down so with a strong talking to at halftime & a couple of changes that saw Toby Haire & Daniel Graham making their debuts for the team. The boys came out fired up to make amends for a poor 1st half performance. Within 5 mins the boys were level when Stringer put Towe through the middle, he out paced the defenders & rounded the keeper & slotted the ball into the empty net.

2 mins later Town were in front when great work down the right wing from Haire, Moore & Towe which saw Moore swing a super cross in for Murphy to head home from 8 yards out. Town soon had their 3rd goal when Vennard played a neat pass down the left to Orr who beat his man, cut inside and played a one two with Murphy on the edge of the box & fired a thunder bolt of a shot straight down the middle of the goal making the score 3 – 1.

Glendowen tried to rally but they were finding it hard to break down a dogged Town defence of Haire, Cassells, Browne & Vennard who were a lot more like them selves in the 2nd half. With Stringer & Graham pulling the strings in midfield they were completely running the show now & it was a great pass out right by Stringer that set Moore on his way down the right wing to deliver another excellent cross for Murphy to head into the top right corner of the net making it 4 – 1. There was still time for a 5th goal before the end when Cassells won a great tackle on the edge of his own box & sent Orr away on a run he played a super pass through to Stokes on the edge of the 18 yard box who took a couple of touches to steady himself & fired a great shot into back of the net. Well done lads for much improved 2nd half performance.

Squad – Diarmuid Whitmarsh, Jamie Stokes, Luke Vennard, Krisy Cassells, Ethan Browne , Conan Moore , Adhamh Towe, Jamie Stringer, Andrew Orr, Dylan Emerson, Shea Murphy, Jack Calvert, Toby Haire, Daniel Graham.