U17s Into Plate Final

Lurgan Town U17s went to Dungannon yesterday for a place in the final of the Plate. Their opponents were Lisbellaw who they had already beaten and drawn with in the league.

The match kicked off and Lurgan immediately seized the initiative with their quick ball and forward runs. First opportunity was for Lurgan when Matthew played the ball into the right corner for Adam L who played a one-two with Jamie. Yhe ball was rolled back to Matthew who struck the ball but for the keeper to make a decent enough save. Jamie followed that up with another effort but when had the opportunity to shoot unselfishly rolled it into Adam L who shot wide. Lurgan continued to look for the opening and with the defence in fine form most if the Lisbellaw opportunities were dealt with sometimes in hurried fashion. As half time was approaching it looked as though it would remain goalless but with 3 minutes left Adam L slipped the ball down the left side of the box, Niall held off the attentions of the defender to slot the ball neatly home inside the keepers inside post

The second half started in the same fashion as the first but Lisbellaw were quicker into the tackle and became a lot more physical. This did not seem to spoil the football that Lurgan had been producing in the first half. This was typified when from a Lisbellaw attacking corner the ball was headed out by Jay, Ollie drove infield with the ball, laid it off to Jamie who gave it back to him and his shot was narrowly wide. Lurgan attacked down the left hand side in a move involving Wheelan, Jamie and Niall. Jamie played the ball into Simon who looked as though he was going to shoot but laid it off to Adam H who struck it sweetly into the left hand corner of the net. 2 nil.

Lisbellaw were still trying to get back into the game and a bizarre incident nearly led to an own goal. As the Lisbellaw winger lumped the ball towards the penalty box Jay went up for the header with the Lisbellaw centre forward,. ay inadvertently head the ball back towards his goal at considerable pace. Rivalso had already moved to where he thought the ball would be before Jay headed it thus leaving an open net. But he somehow managed to redirect his feet and contorted his body and hands to prevent the ball from going into the net. The third goal followed shortly with Denver rolling the ball inside the Lisbellaw right back and Niall sinking the ball past the oncoming keeper. 3 nil and thoroughly deserved. The fourth followed quickly with a beautiful move involving the midfield and forwards. Wheelan played the ball into Simon who laid it off to Denver who rolled it into Niall who made the run into the left channel. Niall rolled back into Denver and with Simon continuing his run, Denver rolled the ball into Simon to fire a shot into the right hand side of the net 4 nil.