U19s Run Riot

under19 mid ulster 1718The U19s travelled to Kernan Playing Fields on Saturday to take on Lurgan BBOB in a league game. The pitch was in poor condition as it was very soft plus some surface water. Lurgan Town knew a quick start was required and after 10 minutes they took the lead after super wing play by Callum Watkins which he cut in to get a shot on target but the BB keeper palmed it to the incoming Aaron Winters to score. A mistake by Lurgan Town allowed BB to equalise after 15 minutes but Lurgan restored their lead after 20 minutes and it was the same combination as the first with Callum Watkins setting up Aaron Winters to score his second. A third goal was to follow for the Town and it was the very impressive Callum Watkins to score as he collected a great pass from Andrew McIvor. LBBOB got a second after another defensive error and this seem to give them some confidence. However that confidence was knocked back when Tim Millen linked up with Alex Woods that finished with Alex scoring on the half time whistle.

The half time talk was all about being more clinical when scoring opportunities arrive and within minutes Lurgan Towns fifth followed when Andy McIvor ran onto a Lewis McKinley flick to score. Callum Watkins got his second of the game with a cool finish after receiving the ball from Alex Woods. Then goal number seven came from Andrew McIvor when he scored from an Odhran Crozier cross. Lurgan Town were in total control of the game at this stage however, when BB did manage to get into the Towns half Jack O’Neill along with Brett Smyth, Jonny Russell and Tim Millen were in control of dealing with any threat. Adam Craig was having a very quiet half as he didn’t have any saves to make in the second half. Lurgan Town made five changes early in the half which included given Ryan Blacoe is first run out for the U19s since returning to the club. The eight goal came as Lurgan won a corner kick and with the pitch in poor condition at the corner flag Lewis McKinley decided to swing it in with his right foot which Simon Wilson scored with a superb finish. Lewis McKinley done the exact thing again for the ninth goal with another right foot corner but this time it was debutant Ryan Blacoe scoring with a right foot finish. Goal number ten arrived when Andy McIvor scored his hattrick goal when picking up a pass from Aaron Winters. There could have been another half dozen goals for the Town but unfortunately Jack Evans on two occasions, Mark Boyd on two occasions and Aaron Winters going close and then Lewis McKinley nearly curled in from the edge of the 18 yard box.

This was Lurgan Towns first double figure goal tally this season and at times some of the football played by Lurgan was great to watch. A few players can be pleased with their performances with Callum Watkins giving a great first half display but overall performance and player of the game went to Andy McIvor with the pass of the game plus a hattrick and then filling in at centre half for the last ten minutes.