Unbeaten Run Comes To An End

under 13 lisburn league 1718

Lurgan Town U13s played Hillsborough Boys on Saturday morning at the Barbour Playing Fields in the league & went down to their 1st defeat of the season 7 – 2.

Town’s fantastic run of 14 wins & a draw came to an end with a heavy defeat in terrible weather conditions. The boys started the game well & were knocking the ball about really well & should have taken the lead on 5 mins when Stringer & Towe played a one two just outside the box. Towe then played a neat pass through to Emerson who hit his shot straight at the Hillsborough keeper.

Town did take the lead on 10 mins when Vennard played a pass down the right to Moore who put Emerson on a run towards the corner flag. He swung in a great first time cross which fell to feet of Alexander who controlled the ball well & finished with a right footed shot low into the bottom left corner of the net. With town 1 – 0 up they seemed to think they had won the game & totally switched off allowing Hillsborough back into the game within 5 mins. Hillsborough scored twice in a 5 min spell from some sloppy defending which has to be said was very unlike the Town’s defence that has been so consistent all season so far. The 1st half ended with Hillsborough 2 – 1 up.

The 2nd half started with Town pushing forward & should they have levelled the game up when Cassells played a lovely pass to Orr on the left wing, who in turn played a ball inside to Towe who slipped Murphy in on goal but he took too long to get his shot away & a last ditch challenge by a Hillsborough defender took the great chance way. Hillsborough were playing on the counter attack as Town kept pushing for the equaliser, but 10 mins into the 2nd half they got their 3rd goal when the big forward out paced the defence to finish well. Minutes later he added a 4th with more weak defending on Town’s behalf.

Town got a goal back with 15 mins to go when Browne won the ball out on the right touchline & played Alexander down the right wing. He whipped in a great cross for Murphy to finish on the volley. With the score now at 4 – 2 to Hillsborough, Town were pushing hard to get back into the game & went to 3 at the back & pushed another player up front. It nearly played off straight away when Orr’s cross from the left was volleyed against the post by Alexander.

Town’s fantastic efforts on winning the Lisburn Shield final the week before had seemed to take it’s toll as the boys tired in the last 10 mins of the game & had completely ran out of steam. Hillsborough took full advantage & scored 3 more goals in that last 10 mins finishing the game with a 7 – 2 win.

The boys were very disappointed with the loss but all great runs have end sometime & knowing the boys like I do i know they will bounce straight back next weekend.

Squad- Diarmuid Whitmarsh, Luke Vennard, Krisy Cassells, Ethan Browne, Patryk Suchonski, Conan Moore, Andrew Orr, Adhamh Towe, Jamie Stringer, Dylan Emerson, Dylan Alexander, Shea Murphy, Jamie Stokes, Jack Calvert.