U13s Into First Final of Year

under 13 lisburn league 1718

Lurgan Town U13s played East Coast Strikers on Saturday morning in the semi-final of the Lisburn Shield at the Barbour playing fields & came away with a 3 – 2 win seeing them through to the 1st final of the season .

Town started the game very sluggish & within 5 mins they were behind when Suchonski give the ball away in his own 18 yard box & the East Coast forward took the gift & slotted the ball beyond the diving town keeper Calvert. With the Town boys 1 – 0 down you would have thought that would have wakened them up but 2 mins later they nearly went 2 – 0 down when a cross from the left caught the whole defence napping & it found an East Coast forward in loads of space in front of goal but he screwed his shot wide of goal to the fortune of the Town boys.

With the score still at 1 – 0 to East Coast the Town boys finally started to play a bit of football & on 18 mins when Moore played a nice pass down the left wing to Orr who played a one two with Murphy on the corner of the East Coast 18 yard box. Orr whipped in a great cross for Alexander to head the ball home at the near post. With the score now level at 1 – 1 Town were pushing forward again in search of their 2nd goal & on 25 mins they got their reward when Cassells played a lovely pass down the right wing to Murphy who found Stokes just outside the corner of the east coast 18 yard box he whipped in a low cross that found the advancing Orr at the penalty spot & he fired a 1st time shot with his right peg into the top right corner of the east coast net making the score 2 – 1 to the Town at the break.

The 2nd half started a bit more open with both teams having a few long range shots but didn’t trouble either keeper much. It was Lurgan who nearly got their 3rd goal when the ever improving Browne won the ball back just outside his own box played a tidy pass to Stringer who played a one two with Towe in midfield & Stringer released the pacey Murphy in on goal but the East Coast keeper got his finger tips to ball sending it just wide of his net.

It was East Coast who got their equaliser on 45 mins when a scuffed shot from the edge of the box was left by a Town defender to the surprise of the Town keeper Whitmarsh & it ended up in the net. With the score now at 2 – 2 it was game on & Lurgan got straight on the attack when Orr fired in a shot from just outside the box only for the East Coast keeper to tip it over the bar. On 53 mins a great move down the right saw Cassells putting Towe on a run & his shot was deflected across goal were the impressive Orr took a touch & cut back a low shot that beat the keeper. There was a race to the line by an East Coast defender & Town forward Emerson which Emerson won to put ball in the net from close range making the score 3 – 2 to the Town.

Town learned valuable a lesson from 2 weeks ago when they conceded a goal with a couple of mins to go against East Coast in the league, so they brought on another defender in Vennard to sure things up & changed the shape of the team & it worked a treat. The match finished with the Town boys winning 3 – 2 & reaching their 1st final of the season. Well done lads.

Special mention has to go to the East Coast Strikers team who played their part in a fantastic shield semi final match.
Squad – Jack Calvert, Krisy Cassells, Conan Moore, Ethan Browne, (captain) Patryk Suchonski , Dylan Alexander, Andrea Orr, Jamie Stringer, Adhamh Towe , Jamie Stokes , Shea Murphy, Dylan Emerson, Luke Vennard , Diarmuid Whitmarsh