Unbeaten Run Continues

u13 lisburn leagueLurgan Town U13s played East Coast Strikers in the league on Saturday morning at Wallace park & dropped their 1st points of the season in a tightly contested 1-1 draw. Town started on the front foot & had a couple of half chances in the opening few minutes with shots from just outside the box from Andrew Orr & Adhamh Towe. Town were controlling play with their neat & tidy passing game restricting East Coast to a few counter attacks.

Town’s midfield of Andrew Orr, Adhamh Towe, Jamie Stringer & Dylan Alexander were having to work really hard to keep on top of a dogged East Coast midfield & with 5 minutes of the 1st half remaining Town should have been in front but were denied by a fine save by the East Coast keeper. A well worked move down the right by Conan Moore playing the ball to the feet of Dylan Alexander who turned swiftly passing to Adhamh Towe on the edge of the box & with a neat flick with the outside of his right foot had set Shea Murphy in on goal but his 1st time shot was well saved.

With a couple of minutes of the half remaining Town got a corner & with a great delivery from Dylan Alexander the East Coast keeper could only manage to punch the ball straight up in the air causing an all mighty scramble with shots from 3 town players Towe, Suchonski & Stringer some how East Coast managed to get the ball cleared and that’s how the 1st half ended.

The 2nd half started pretty much like the 1st half with Town pulling the strings & it was Andrew Orr who nearly opened the scoring when he held off 2 defenders down the left, cut into the box & his shot was parried out by the impressive East Coast keeper. Minutes later it was Andrew Orr’ s shot that hit the arm of a East Coast defender in the box but the ref waved away all Town’s appeals.

Town did open the scoring 15 minutes into 2nd half when a great pass from Luke Vennard down the right to Conan Moore who cut inside & found Shea Murphy on the edge of the box & his short pass found the advancing Adhamh Towe who broke through the tight defence & slotted the ball into the bottom left corner of the net making it 1 – 0 to the Town boys.

Town were in complete control now & had a couple more chances to put the game out of reach from East Coast when their keeper made the save of the game from close range; a wonderful double save from an Andrew Orr shot & it looked like Shea Murphy had an open goal to fire the rebound into but the keeper somehow managed get his hand to it & put it over the bar .

East Coast started to come more into the game in the last 10 minutes having a couple of long range shots but didn’t trouble Diarmuid Whitmarsh in the Town goal. With 2 minutes of the game remaining East Coast found an equaliser when a ball down the right pulled the Town centre backs over towards it & the East Coast winger lifted a looping cross into the centre of the box leaving a Town full back one on one with the East Coast forward who managed to win position & fire his shot beyond the diving town keeper making the score 1-1.

With just a minute remaining Town got back on the attack straight away & had another penalty claim waved away when a cross from Krisy Cassells on right found Dylan Alexander’s chest inside the box but when he tried to control the ball he was bundled in the back & went heavily to ground but got no reward. The match finished 1-1 and the first dropped points in 9 league games.

Special mention has to go to the East Coast Strikers boys for putting up such good fighting performance & the Town boys for making great match on the day. A get well soon message for town’s forward Dylan Emerson who injured in back in mid week.

Squad – Jack Calvert, Luke Vennard, Conan Moore, Ethan Browne, Patryk Suchonski (captain), Adhamh Towe, Dylan Alexander, Jamie Stringer, Andrew Orr, Shea Murphy, Jamie Stokes, Diarmuid Whitmarsh, Krisy Cassells.