Girls Academy Weekly Review

Just like the previous week the U11s and U15s kicked off their games on Friday night and the U13s played on Saturday. 
U11s – First up the girls played and lost out to a good Craigavon City team but the team showed promise as the majority are still finding their feet on a football pitch. However there were good performances from Phoenix Hughes and Evie Adams.  The second game was against Oxford Sunnyside and it finished an entertaining draw. Grace Mackay almost give Lurgan the lead but shot over then Hannah Watts made an outstanding save. Tilly Douglas and Lizzie Lawther were performing well in defence. Also Phoebe MacDonald, Rachael Conn and Clara Adams showing good ability.

U15s – the team travelled to Camlough on Friday night under the guidance of Gary Beattie. First up was a game against local rivals Craigavon City with Lurgan putting in a superb performance as they won comfortably. Rebecca Wilson was the standout performer as she knocked in 6 goals and closely followed by Alex McILwaine with 4 goals plus a goal scored by Jessica Greenlee. The second game of the night was a mid ulster derby against Portadown and the winner came in the last minute of the game as Kelly Patterson followed up from her goal last week with another one this week. Well done JP, Amy, Chloe, Ellie B, Ellie M, Kelly, Rebecca, Jessica and Alex.

U13s – the girls played Banbridge Rangers on Saturday afternoon and without going into particular incidents in the game they lost out by 3 goals to 2. Despite the girls going 2 down early on they were still creating chances with Kayla McGrory, Maeve McConaghy and Katie Gilmore going close. At the other end of the pitch Hannah Watts was in excellent form. The defence of Chloe Stewart, Kaitlyn Irwin, Alex McILwaine and Ellie Beattie were performing well. Lurgan improved as the game progressed with Maeve McConaghy instrumental in Lurgans play and she got Lurgan back on level terms with 2 well taken goals. Erin Moore and Amy Irwin went close to scoring for Lurgan. Then an outrageous decision in the last minute witnessed Banbridge Rangers being awarded a free kick with one minute left on the watch which they scored the winner. The Lurgan girls were excellent despite a number of incidents out of their control.