100% Record Maintained

The U19s maintained their 100% winning start to the league with a convincing 5-1 win against LBBOB on Saturday. However, it could’ve been double figures had Lurgan Town been more ruthless in front of goal.

The first half saw Lurgan Town pretty much the dominant team and creating numerous chances and after 8 minutes they took the lead when super link up play involving Aaron Winters and Lewis McKinley ended with Aaron Winters firing home from a Lewis McKinley pass. With the Town on the front foot they still had to wait for another 20 minutes to get the second and this time it was Jack Evans setting Aaron Winters up to his second brace of goals in two weeks. Andrew McIvor was unfortunate to have a goal chalked off when he was given offside after scoring with a super finish from a Lewis McKinley free kick. Lurgan 2 up at this stage but had to thank Adam Craig for a super reaction save to prevent the BB scoring. Despite Andy’s disappointment from earlier he did get the third goal when Alex Woods corner kick deflected of Andy McIvor into the goal. Mark Boyd almost got on the scoresheet but watched an effort go wide. The half finished 3-0 but on another day Alex Woods could’ve had a hattrick with the first he watched the keeper tip over a free kick, the second he dinked over the keeper but wide and the third just crept over the bar.

Lurgan began the second half in much the same way but at times players tried to do to much individual play and not enough team play. Although there were still plenty of scoring opportunities and none more so than Andy McIvor as he could’ve and possibly had a hattrick after hitting a couple at the keeper and heading 2 Lewis McKinley corners wide. Lurgan made 3 changes in the last 30 minutes and it didn’t take long for all oncoming players to kickstart the scoring. First up it was Callum Watkins, it started with Lewis McKinley leaving the centre half behind with some clever skill however his shot was mis-hit but fell to Callum Watkins and made it look easy with a super finish for Lurgans fourth. The fifth came from Lewis’s 3rd assist in the game and his 8th in 3 games. The goal was scored this time by Pedro De Araujo as he collected the ball and beautifully curled the shot into the bottom corner. Lurgan had another goal dubiously disallowed when Lewis McKinley scored direct from a 30 yard free kick but the ref blew for Aaron Winters in an offside position and blocking the view of the keeper despite Aaron being behind the keeper. Then disappointment for Adam Craig as his search for a clean sheets evades him as a few errors in Lurgans play allowed the BB to score a consolation goal however it was an own goal by a Lurgan defender.

The Town can take a lot of confidence from winning their first 3 games however there will be tougher challenges ahead and the one aspect of their game that needs improvement is to be more clinical in front of goal. Despite scoring 13 in 3 games it could be double that total. On the day all the players had steady games with no one stepping up to grab the player of the match. However, Pedro was lively when coming on, Jack Evans is slowly getting back to form, Odhran Crozier and Tim Millen along with Jack O’Neill and Brett Smyth defending well as a unit.