Report: Lisburn Cup Final

IMG-20170506-WA0004-1Lurgan Town Lisburn League U12s team played East Coast Strikers in the final of the Lisburn Cup on Saturday 6th May and ran out 4-0 winners. After winning the NIBFA Cup the on May Day Monday what a great achievement for good bunch of young lads to add the Lisburn Cup just days later.

The Town boys started well against a stiff breeze & took the lead on 5 minutes when a free kick was curled in from the left from Dylan Alexander & Matthew McKee rose highest at the back post to nod home from close range. The Town boys were put under pressure from restart but with Dylan Emerson solid in nets & the tough defence of Krisy Cassells, Patryk Suchonski & captain Daniel Dillon there was no way through for East Coast. The Town boys were counter attacking well & should have added a 2nd when Dylan Alexander was put in on goal from a Jamie Stringer through ball but the East Coast keeper saved well. On 20 minutes Town did get their 2nd of the match when Bobby Harvey’s shot was blocked on the end of the box & Jamie Stringer was on hand to slam home the rebound. The half ended 2-0 to the Lurgan lads.

With the wind behide them in the 2nd half Town dominated the play with the midfield of Andrew Orr, Bobby Harvey, Matthew McKee & Jamie Stringer. The boys were cruising to victory when Andrew Orr hit a rasping shot from the edge of the left corner of the box but the East Coast keeper made the save of the game get down low to his left. Super sub Jamie Stokes popped up on the 38th minute of the game to kill things off after some great skill down the right side from Jamie Stringer and a shot from the edge of the box that was parried up into the air & ‘Stoker’ nipped in beside the keeper to head it over the line for 3-0. East Coast were down & out by this stage when Luke Vennard set Jamie Stokes away on a run down the right wing he cut in side & smashed a great shot at the keeper who could only push it into his own net making the score 4-0.

There was time for one last effort when man of the match Patryk Suchonski found Conan Moore just out side the box & with a quick glance up saw the keeper of his line & sent in a lovely chip shot which just clipped the top of the bar. The final whistle went to scenes of glory. The boys had made history. Well done, we are so proud of u all.