LL12s Into Semi Finals 

Lurgan Town Lisburn League u12s played w
Warrenpoint on Saturday morning in the quarter final of the Lisburn Cup. It was the 2nd encounter in 2 weeks with the Town boys in confident form after winning 1 nil in the semi-final of the nibfa cup the previous week.

The 1st 15 minutes were very tight with neither team giving much away until a ball played over the top of the Town defence caught them out & a Warrenpoint striker lobbed the out rushing Town keeper to make it 1 nil. The town boys started pushing forward & created a couple of chances that needed good saves by the Warrenpoint keeper from Matthew McKee & Jamie Stringer. The Town boys drew level with 3 mins of the 1st half to go when hard work from Dylan Alexander near the corner flag won the ball back he passed it to Jamie Stringer who’s shot was blocked but the ball fell to the feet of the in rushing Alexander who poked his shot in off the ‘point keeper from close range. The teams went in all square at the half time break.

The 2nd half started a bit more open with both teams having a few long range shots but didnt trouble either keeper much. 10 mins in and Bobby Harvey found Jamie Stringer out on the right with a great pass; he went on a mazie run beating 2 ‘point defender’s & his shot was saved by the keeper but the rebounding ball fell to Andrew Orr who’s shot was handled by a defender which lead to a penalty being awarded to Town. Matthew McKee stepped up & rammed the ball into the bottom left corner of the goal to put the Town 2 – 1 up

Warrenpoint were pushing for an equaliser for the next 5 mins but it was Lurgan who scored again with Patryk Suchonski picking up the ball just inside the opposition half & with 1 touch he hit a thunderbolt of a shot which flew into the top right corner of the goal to put the Town boys 3 – 1 up. Warrenpoint got straight at Town’s defence again putting them under pressure but with great team spirit the defence of Krisy Cassells, Daniel Dillon , Matthew McKee & Patryk Suchonski stood firm. A couple of superb saves from Shea Murphy in the Town goal kept the boys in front but there was nothing he could do with 5 mins to go a Warrenpoint midfielder hit a cracking shot in off the cross bar to make it 3 – 2. The town boys held firm for the last 5 mins & March on to the semi finals.

It has to be said that the boys have shown great team spirit over the whole season so far well done lads.