​McCartan Strikes to Seal Victory

Lurgan Town made the short trip to Portadown to take on their close neighbours Tandragee Rovers in the Semi-Final of the Mid Ulster Plate.
The game started very scrappy with both teams failing to get a foothold on the game.  Both teams had their chances however both keepers were in fine form, denying any chances that either team had.  As the game started to settle Lurgan started to pass the ball about the pitch with great purpose unfortunately they just couldn’t find the net.  The opening goal was almost sealed when Mulligan outpaced the Tandragee backline only for his effort to hit the post.  Mid way through the first half with the ever increasing pressure Lurgan were awarded a corner.  Wilson delivered a dangerous ball into the box and Young powered his header into the net.  The celebrations were short lived, as Young was fouled in the middle of the pitch a bounce ball was awarded and Tandragee decided to capitalize on this as opposed to sportingly knocking the ball back to the onlooking Town defence and keeper.  The half time whistle was blew and all was square.

First Half 1 – 1

The Second Half started and Lurgan came out firing on all cylinders, feeling hard done by with the Tandragee goal.  As Lurgan began to camp themselves in Tandragee’s half a goal looked imminent however it didn’t come until 13 minutes into the second half were some high pressing from Wilson led to the ball falling for Lyle who made no mistake with his through ball to the on running McCartan made no mistake with his superb finish.  Lurgan then began to control possession and some very neat phases of play were unlucky not to result in goals.  Mallon replaced McConville who worked tirelessly up and down the wing all morning.  The fresh legs seemed to lift Lurgan again and there were wave after wave of attacks but the goals wouldn’t come. As Lurgan went searching for their third goal Tandragee hit them on the counter however Truesdale dealt with every attack at ease.  Truesdale performance at the back was immense and kept Tandragee at bay all morning.  Givens in nets also pulling off some fine saves as Tandragee went in search of the equalising goal.  As the game entered the last 10 minutes with a head injury to Brown, Crawford and Matthews entered the fray.  Matthews bringing a bit of composure to the Lurgan Town side.  The game was almost up only for Tandragee to get a free kick in a dangerous area only for givens to thwart their effort.  The Final Whistle was blew and Lurgan had sealed their place in the final.

Second Half 2 – 1

A Big Well Done to all the Lurgan Town players however special mention must be given to Caleb Lyle who was tremendous going forward, Sam Truesdale for his strong performance in the centre of defence and also to Sean McCartan who sealed the victory with a superb finish.