Unbeaten Run Continues


The Lurgan Town U13 LL stretched their unbeaten run to 3 games on the trot with a deserved 6-3 win over FC Bragga in the Supplementary Cup. Town were in the driving seat from kickoff scoring early in the game when a Cameron Mackay cross was neatly finished at close range by Ronan Watkins, Bragga equalised soon after when an opposition player controlled the ball with his arm in the box and couldn’t believe his luck, hesitating for a split second waiting on the whistle before driving the ball into the net. Unfortunately for Lurgan the referee hadn’t got a clear view of the handball incident and let play continue and the goal to stand. Lurgan regained the lead with Mackay again instrumental in the build up, this time being the provider for Soufian Mouhsine who broke in his new boots with a well placed goal. Bragga quickly found Town napping with the defence slow to react when a high ball into the box was initially saved by Bradley Brown but the loose ball wasn’t cleared and the nippy Bragga striker was the quickest to react finishing well in the Town goal. Lurgan were beginning to lose their shape a little in midfield with one Bragga player in particular dictating their play spreading long balls, hitting Town on the counter attack time and time again. Town however always looked dangerous themselves when getting forward and took the lead yet again with Cameran Mackay this time getting himself on the scoresheet, but again Lurgan failed to hold the lead for long and again it was losing the ball from midfield that caused the damage with a quick counter attack bringing the scores level. Lurgan continued to push from the kick off and Ronan Watkins who has been forming an excellent partnership with Mackay got Lurgans 4th and his 2nd of the game just before the break to take us into half time with a high scoring half and a 4-3 lead.
Half time saw a few changes to the Town team and a slight change in shape, with the coaches sacrificing one of the midfielders to man mark the Bragga playmaker out of the game in the hope of limiting his ability to have any time on the ball. This certainly seemed to be working for Town who stretched their lead to 5-3 when Cameron Mackay secured his brace with a cool finish showing a striker playing with confidence. James Maguire added to the score with a well placed penalty when a tricky Jake Turner was upended in the box leaving the referee no option but to point to the spot to make it 6-3. Both teams had further chances with Bradley Brown pulling off a couple of spectacular saves to deny Bragga the chance of getting back into the game. Town substitute Kyle White had a shot just turned around the post by the opposition keeper late on and saw another just sail over the bar before he put in an excellent cross to Cameron Mackay who collected the ball and turned with style putting into the roof of the net from about 18 yards out, unfortunately for Cameron he was denied his hatrick with the referee judging him to be slightly offside.
Great result for the boys despite making it hard for ourselves at times. Town were great going forward and always looked dangerous and likely to score, a bit disappointing losing three preventable goals to make the game a lot more difficult than it should have been in the first half, but as a team the boys battled together to shut Bragga down in the second half with all the second half goals going the one way. Great spirit shown by the entire squad with some exciting football leading to a 9 goal thriller.
Squad: Bradley Brown, Adam Vennard, Luke Hammond, Ben Cuthbert, Aidan Cassidy, Jake Turner, Soufian Mouhsine (1), Bobby Jones, Josh Smyth, Ronan Watkins (2), Cameron Mackay (2), James Maguire (1 Pen), Kurtis White, Kyle White.