Reserves Sweep Dungannon Aside

2nd teamAfter two defeats on their travels, Town Reserves returned to the Arena to take on Dungannon Rovers Reserves. Dungannon had won the reverse fixture 2-1 earlier in the season so Town were out revenge, but needed to improve the level of performance that has been on display since the Christmas break.
Town started brightly with a high tempo, exactly what was needed after losing early goals in recent fixtures. Instructions were to create chances as the service to the front men has been poor recently. The returning James McNally and Davy Trainor were excellent at braking up Dungannon possession and playing simple football to push their team up the pitch.
The deadlock was broken when Matt Irvine  was given time to control a ball in the box and he turned to slot home. The second came soon after when a blocked shot fell to Jaimie Boycie at the edge of the area and he half vollied into the bottom corner. Town topped off a great 1st half performance with a super move involving Devlin, Glenn and Jack McNally that ended with Boyce getting his second at the back post. Half Time 3-0 to Lurgan Town.
The second half started with a scrappy fifteen minutes as Dungannon tried to get back into it, but Adam Glenn but put the result beyond doubt when he danced past two defenders and rounded the keeper for the fourth.  Jamie Boyce then scored the goal of the game when he curled into the top corner to complete his hat trick, and the big striker scored his fourth of the match when he tapped in to cap another fine move. The scoring was completed when captain Robin Carson carried the ball out of defence to start a move that ended with Alan Stokes lobbing the keeper from 35 yards.
A much improved performance from the lads but the standard needs to stay at this level in the coming weeks.
Team: Craig, Devlin, Carson (c), Freeburn, Wing, Trainor, James McNally, Glenn, Boyce, Irvine, Jack McNally
Subs: Bunting (James McNally), Stokes (Trainor), McBride (Jack McNally)