Best Display of Season So Far

The 1st Team hosted title chasing AFC Silverwood on Saturday who were sitting 2nd in league but could go top by winning their games in hand.

Town had managed to run Silverwood close on two occasions this season, so knew they had the ability to cause them problems. Town welcomed Tyler Boyce back into the side with the rest of the squad remaining the same from the back to back wins before Christmas.

In front of a decent sized crowd, the Lurgan men produced one of their finest displays of the season to defeat the title chasers.

Aaron Greenaway scored the opener mid-way through the first half. Great play from full back Geoff Greenaway saw him pick out Matt Hollis, who superbly knocked down to Aaron Greenaway who made no mistake with the finish. Town continued to control the game and went in comfortable at half time.

 The 2nd half saw Silverwood have their best spell of the game as they began to get Town on the back foot and got some joy down the wide areas, but despite this they didn’t create much with Boyce not having any saves to make. Town themselves were guilty of some missed chances that would have finished the game with Greenaway a toes length away from tapping in. The Silverwood goalkeeper then pulled off a wonder save from a Matt Hollis header. Silverwood then got the equaliser in controversial circumstances. Town cleared a corner but were left with a defender on the ground injured in the six yard box. The referee didn’t stop the game despite doing so for a similar incident later in the game to Town’s annoyance. A lofted ball found the Silverwood striker who naturally would have been offside but was able to slot home to level the game. Town then made a triple substation with Ryan McMahon, David Hamilton and Robin Carson coming into the game to add fresh legs in what was becoming a real battle. With five minutes to go Town showed fantastic character to again take the lead. A worked corner saw the ball back to Nathan Crozier who fizzed his cross his to be met superbly at the front post by Matt Hollis to hit the roof of the goal. The referee then allowed nine minutes of injury time, but Town managed the game out to seal a fantastic victory against a previously undefeated team in the league.

It would be unfair to single out any individual in what was a terrific and heroic performance from the 14 players involved on the day.

Town travel to Lower Maze next weekend as they look to build on this fine display.