Inconsistency Halts U17s

On Saturday inconsistency struck again for Lurgan Towns U17s as they started brightly against Ballyclare but in the end lost 4-2.

Lurgan caused problems for Ballyclares defence with  Lewis McKinleys set pieces creating all sorts of issues. The opportunities were being missed which has been common this season. However to stop this trend Lewis swung in another set piece and this time Andy McIvor headed into the Ballyclare net. Lewis almost doubled Lurgans lead when the Ballyclare keeper almost fumbled his free kick into the goal. Then from this point Lurgans lack of focus kicked in as defenders stood and watched a lose ball fall to a  Ballyclare striker score. Ballyclare then took a halftime lead after another error. 

Ballyclare increased the tempo in their game in the second half but Lurgan still created opportunities to equalise with the most notable one seeing Pedro De Araujo one on one with the keeper but the keeper won this battle. With twenty minutes left Mark Boyd came on for Lurgan and within a minute he received a defence splitting pass from Lewis McKinley which Mark swung in a great cross for Aaron Winters to beautifully volley into the net to equalise. The equaliser should’ve been the spur that they needed to kick on however, it had the opposite affect. Lurgan became sloppy again in their play and were getting run ragged at times and in the last fifteen minutes Ballyclare scored a further two goals but it could’ve been more if it wasn’t for great defending by Ross McMorris and Tim Millen along with support from midfield pairing of Jack Evans and Andy McIvor. 

It wasn’t the start to 2017 the team wanted but they will have to raise their heads as the fixtures coming up are getting tougher. There were four players that could honestly say they give everything and be proud of their performance and they were Tim Millen, Andy McIvor, Jack Evans and player of the match Ross McMorris on his return to the team after a 2 month break from the game.