Impressive Away Display 

The 1st Team travelled to Markethill in league action and came away with an impressive 4-1 victory. 

There were a few enforced changes to the team from last weeks unlucky extra time defeat to AFC Silverwood with Ryan McMahon and Graeme McCoy unavailable. In came James Lindsay and Aaron Greenaway. 

Town started the game poorly with Markethill having the best of the early play. They didn’t create anything clear but Town knew they would have to improve quickly or they would be in for a difficult afternoon. Against the run of play Town took the lead. A Markethill corner was punched clear by Tyler Boyce and Bill Morrow picked up the ball in his own half to run the length of the pitch beating a few men before playing in Matt Hollis who tucked home. This settled Town and lifted their work rate. Town started to press Markethill from the front and it was paying off as they were forcing with Hollis, Crozier, Greenaway, Guy, Gray and Morrow forcing them into mistakes. Town doubled the lead when Nathan Crozier scored what has to be the goal of the season so far. He beat a few men, played to Morrow on the edge of area he beat a man and played a class reverse pass to Crozier in the area he beat his man and slotted past the keeper. Town continued to dominate but couldn’t extend their lead further. Half Time 2-0. 

At half time manager Chris Kelly was keen to ensure no complacency crept in given that only 2 weeks ago Town were 2-0 up at the same stage against Tullyvallen but lost the game 3-2. 

As expected Markethill came out strong in the second half knowing they had to go for it. They bossed Town and it was starting to look like a re-run of the Tullyvallen game when Markethill got a goal back from a good free kick. They continued to put the pressure on but this week Town’s defence was strong and defended a sequence of Markethill corners to relieve some pressure. Town then settled and themselves had a spell of pressure and corners. Eventually it paid off when Man of the Match Bill Morrow headed into the top corner from Wing’s corner, to kill of Markethill’s efforts. The victory was sealed when Matt Hollis found himself in on goal with 5 minutes to go and he made no mistake with an assured finish. Full Time 4-1. 

Another good performance from the whole team rewarded with 3 points. Bill Morrow edged the the players vote for Man of the Match. 

Town travel to Kilkeel next week to take on Intermediate A side Valley Rangers in the 4th Round of the Marshall Cup.