Unstoppable Town


Lurgan Town Under 11 LL served up lots of tricks and treats in today’s Halloween cup match against Loughgall.  Lurgan were quickly on the attack with Calum Carson and Jesse Turner testing the Loughgall keeper early on.  At the back Josh Martin and Aaron Kerr played with their usual flair and were quick to turn defence into attack.  For their part Loughgall played a quick passing game and hit the bar early on from open play.  Some sustained pressure from Town saw Lukas Moles play an inch perfect ball through to Jesse whose instant control allowed him to play a square pass to Matthew Hughes who tucked the ball in at the far post for Town. With some excellent passing and movement throughout the team, Lurgan imposed themselves on the Loughgall defence, and a free kick saw Matthew bring a good save out of the keeper.  More pressure from a Lurgan throw saw Lukas play Jesse in on the keeper but on this occasion Loughgall were equal to the challenge.  Loughgall raised their game and began to exert some pressure of their own, hitting the bar once again from a cross.  The Town defence were called upon to make a last gasp tackle on more than one occasion.  At the other end pressure in the Loughgall area saw Matthew almost score from a defensive mix up.  From the corner Lukas had a shot saved, the rebound falling to Calum who buried it in the corner.  Adam Furphy had an excellent game and started a slick move just before half time, feeding Lukas who turned provider for Jesse who ran on powerfully and brought a first class save out of the keeper just as the whistle blew.

Lurgan Town were quickly out of the blocks after the restart with Lukas, Jesse and Calum all coming close to extending the Lurgan lead.  Calum shot fiercely with the keeper saving, and Jesse was unlucky from the rebound.  Loughgall were not finished and some determined play saw Conan McCafferty in goal save expertly from a crisp, long range shot.  After some end to end play, Jesse’s intelligent play fed Christopher Heasley who volleyed spectacularly.  Again Loughgall responded and once again the Lurgan defence had to be at their best to keep them out.  Conan again saved well following sustained pressure from Loughgall.  From a free kick the referee saw a hand ball and gave a penalty to Loughgall.   Loughgall struck hard and low and Conan saved brilliantly with his feet.  Lurgan jubilation was short lived as the referee insisted that the penalty was re-taken which the Lurgan crowd strongly objected to!  Conan got his hand to the strike but couldn’t keep it out this time.  Loughgall had their tails up but Lurgan responded by passing their way out of trouble and keeping possession.  Liam Carroll and Josh put in some firm tackles when Loughgall threatened, while at the other end Jesse showed some great composure when through on goal, but somehow the keeper kept his shot out.  From the resulting corner Calum came close yet again.  On the wing Daryl Houston and Josh combined for a late attack which brought another corner, this in turn saw Liam head against the bar as the whistle blew for full time.  Loughgall was a strong team who were determined to win this game but they simply could not break down the unstoppable Lurgan Town.