7 Up For Town 

The Firsts travelled to Laurelvale and finally put in a performance in the league to match those of their impressive Cup displays this season. 

With Laurelvale much improved this season Town knew they would have to be at the top of their games to get a result and they certainly were. 

Town started the game well with Trainor, Hoey and Gray dominating the midfield battle. It wasn’t long before Town had their first site of goal when a superb cross from Crozier was met sweetly by David Hamilton to give the keeper no chance. Town were then guilty of the old football cliche of being vulnerable after scoring as they conceded and equaliser within two minutes of taking the lead when a set piece wasn’t properly cleared. This didn’t phase Town as they kicked on and it wasn’t long before they retook the lead. Adam Wing’s fine cross caused confusion in the Vale defence and when the ball fell to Aaron Greenaway he turned neatly and curled the ball into the top corner. Just before the break Town got their third when another poor clearance was pounced on by Greenaway to slot the ball past the keeper. Half Time 3-1. 

Town knew the next goal of the game was going to be crucial. Vale came out flying and had a sequence of corners and possession but Town’s defence of Wing, Clarke, Carson and Morrow defended brilliantly to weather the storm. Town then all but sealed the game when they got their fourth. Nathan Crozier who was in good form was cynically fouled as he danced past his man. The resulting free kick seen Wing fire in a superb cross that was met by Bill Morrow to head in. Town then introduced Hollis for the injured Carson and Ryan McMahon replacing the impressive Crozier. This was McMahon’s first appearance in the first team since signing in the summer. His impact was immediate, within 30 seconds he got his first goal for the 1st team after he dispossessed the Vale defender and when through on goal kept his cool to slot home. The sixth wasn’t far behind when the impressive Darragh Gray got his first senior goal for the club when he won the ball he rifled a 20 yard strike into the top corner. Minutes later Greenaway sealed his hat-trick and Town’s seventh when the crumbling Vale defence was penetrated again and Aaron fired home. He was then withdrawn to give young Jack Evans a 20 minute appearance after having played in the morning for the under 17s. The last 20 minutes seen Town play some great football killing the game off. Final Score 7-1.

This was the kind of performance that Town have been producing in cup games this season but had struggled to replicate in the league. Hopefully this result will give their league form a kick start to start moving their way up the table. 

A brilliant team performance but two special mentions to Aaron Greenway on this hat-trick which opens his account for the club. And Darragh Gray who’s all round performance was brilliant and capped with his first senior goal for the club.