A Hard Fought Victory

Today’s cup match between Lurgan Town U11LL against East Belfast was certainly a game of two halves. East Belfast were quickly off the mark – missed tackles allowed them to score with a well struck shot within the first minute. It was the wake up call Lurgan needed.  Slick passing and determined play allowed Jesse Turner and Christopher Heasley to score to give Lurgan the lead.  A precise through ball from Calum Carson provided Christopher with the opportunity to score his second.  Lukas Moles provided a pin point pass for Jesse who confidently took his second – 4.1.  “Find a Yellow!!” was the cry from the sidelines and the boys obeyed with both Christopher and Lukas testing the Belfast keeper.  As usual Aaron Kerr, Josh Martin and Adam Furphy were strong at the back as East Belfast raised their game.  Liam Carroll provided Jesse with an accurate pass and Jesse volleyed into the corner – Hat Trick!  Determined play from Matthew Hughes provided Christopher with the opportunity to score his Hat Trick and he didn’t hesitate.  Lurgan were playing some superb football but East Belfast were always dangerous. An interception and intelligent play by Josh released William Bleaks who brought a good save from the Belfast keeper.  East Belfast stormed right back producing an excellent stop from Conan McCafferty.  They followed up quickly with a well placed shot to score on the stroke of half time, 6.2

East Belfast started the second half strongly and scored from a powerful free kick.  A few minutes later another free kick produced another goal in the top corner – 6.4!  East Belfast had their tails up and forced a corner.  A well struck shot into the area produced a firmly headed goal – 6.5!  At last Lurgan began to play like they had done in the first half with both Jesse and Lukas testing the keeper.  East Belfast also cleared a shot off the goal line and Calum had a good effort saved. Darrach Woods and Daryl Houston played their part on the wings.  Time was running out for East Belfast whose pressing saw a shot just past the post and almost immediately a scramble in the box saw the Lurgan defence smother a goal bound shot on the line.  Lurgan held on to claim a hard fought victory.  The Lurgan crowd were certainly glad to hear the final whistle – in the end a match that started out looking as if it would be a comfortable win was anything but!!  What a game!!