Reserves Progress Against Banbridge 

Town Reserves played their 3rd cup game in a row with Banbridge Town AFC the opponents, in the Wilmore Jonston Cup 1st round. The pitch in Scarva Park was in great condition and helped some good, if fairly sedate, passing and possession football from both teams in the 1st half. Town upped their tempo quicker than Banbridge and opened the scoring with a Matt Irvine finish. The lead was doubled soon after when Adam Glenn slammed a shot through a crowded penalty area and Luke Parry reacted quickly to divert it past the keeper.

The lads then eased off and let Banbridge back in the game when their striker reacted quickest to a loose ball after a stunning save by Robbie Redpath, not the outcome the keeper deserved in a very good performance on his return to the side. On the verge of half time, with only their second attempt on goal, Banbridge drew level when their left back was given too much time and he scored from distance. Half time score Banbridge AFC 2-2 Lurgan Town.

Matt Irvine scored a brace against Banbridge

There was agreement among the players during the break that they could up the workrate and cut out some of the sloppy passes and decision making from the 1st half. The second half was total one way traffic. Steven White marked his first appearance of the season with a commanding performance at the back. This gave a great platform for the lads to mount attacks and the chances came thick and fast. Irvine, Boyce and McMahon were unlucky and the linemans flag was also frequent in stopping play. Shaw grabbed Towns third after a well timed late burst forward to cap a great personal performance from him. The fourth came from Adam Scorah, who was a first half sub when Glenn picked up a hamstring injury. He finished off the move of the match with a calm finish. The scoring was completed when last seasons golden boot winner Irvine scored a close range header from a glorious Parks cross.

A much improved performance from the team is rewarded with a 2nd round home game against the winners of the tie involving Oxford and Seagoe.

Manager Steven Beattie commented “This was a great performance by the lads and it puts to bed last week’s disappointing result. I thought we controlled large parts of the game and with influential striker Matt Irvine we always look dangerous going forward. We can now look forward to the next round at the Arena”