Paid The Price For Missed Chances

under 16 lisburn league

Lurgan Town paid the price for missed chances and poor decisions after a match in which the dominated in the possessions and the chances count saw them end up on the wrong side of a 3-2 scoreline. Town started brightly and the game was played in Camlough’s half for a full 6 minutes. Indeed it wasn’t until the eighth minute than Hancock in goal touched the ball.  So it was totally Against run of play a poor clearance after a corner fell to the Camlough left winger who lobbed the ball back but he over hit it and as luck would have it, the ball sailed over keeper and into the net for the opening goal.

Lurgan refused to panic and after a good move the ball broke at the edge of the box and Gary Judt shot high into top corner but from nowhere the goalkeeper flashed a hand to stop a certain goal. From the resulting corner McNeill whipped in a cross which was flicked on by Alex Woods and crashed against the bar and out to safety. Town piled on the pressure and in the 21st minute after play down the right, Simon Wilson played ball down the inside right channel, JAck Hogg picked it up, gave keeper the eyes and beat him at his near post to level the scores. Then down the left Arai Da Silva worked a move with Jack Hogg resulting in left foot shot which was parried by the keeper who kept up and saved well again from Hogg on the rebound. Then it was McNeill’s turn to create a chance, he took on the left back who crudely took him down for a penalty which was converted coolly by Ryan Blacoe to give Town a deserved lead.

It was all Town now and a great ball from Judt to Hogg saw the forward check inside and shoot, the keeper made a great save but the ball fell to McNeill who blazed over with net at his mercy. Then just before the half Town hit the woodwork for the second time in the game when Hogg crashed a shot off the bar.

The half time break suited Rovers and Town struggled to find their passing game working. In the 45 minute a speculative long range free kick was fired in, keeper should have had it covered but somehow made it into the net to level the scores again. It was Rovers turn to rally and their was a renewed spring in their step. Hancock found himself impeded by a forward as he went to kick a ball and he threw the ball to Johansen, his pass infield missed all the Town players and unbelievably from the half way line the Camlough centre back fires the ball into the unguarded net.Then Hancock made up for his error by pulling off a remarkable double save to keep his team in the game.

Credit to Town they fought back into the game and as Camlough sat back Town continued to pile on the chances. In all there were good chances for Dunbar, McGuckin and McNeill to score an equaliser and with a few minutes to go a Blacoe corner sailed directly into the top corner. Unfortunately, even though he had originally signalled for the goal the referee then seemed to have a change of mind and awarded a free kick to the goalkeeper. This was even more unbelievable when the goalkeeper had only came into contact with two of his own defenders! There was one more chance for Dumbar but in the end it too went begging.

Manager Michael Hogg said after the game that it was a reminder to all players of the importance to concentrate throughout the game and how you must take your chances. He also reminded the players that they have to match the physicality of other teams and not to let themselves get dominated.

Starting Line Up
1. Aaron Hancock
2. Adam Leathem (45)
3. Ryan Blacoe (C)
4. Morgan Smyth
5. Daniel Johansen
6. Simon Wilson (60)
17. Gary Judt
8. Alex Woods
9. Jamie McNeill (60)
10. Jack Hogg
12. Arai Da Silva (45)

7. Ryan McGuckin (60)
14. Fionan Dunbar (45)
15. Matthew Cupples (45)
16. Joshua McClune (60)