3 Points On The Board

David Hamilton
David Hamilton scored the winner against Craigavon City

The senior team made the short trip to Craigavon City on Tuesday evening as they went in search of their first points of the season.

The first half was one of Town’s worst performances in recent games. Craigavon had the majority of the play and took advantage of a lack lustre Town performance as they took the lead mid-way through the half. Town eventually got their act together in the closing stages of the half and were given an unlikely lifeline when Bill Morrow was taken down in the box for a penalty to be awarded. However Morrow pushed the penalty wide of the mark which summed up Town’s performance.

After some stern words at half time from the management team and a change of formation Town started the second half in a positive manner. The introduction of Davy Trainor in the midfield injected energy into the side and Town were on top. It wasn’t long before they were awarded another penalty when Aaron Greenaway was brought down when through on goal. This also say Craigavon reduced to ten men with their keeper being dismissed. This time James Lindsay stepped up and made no mistake with the spot kick. Town continued to dominate for the next ten minutes, but couldn’t turn this into chances. As the game went on Craigavon came back into it, and penned Town back. Some last ditch defending from Carson and Hoey and a couple of fine saves from young Tyler Boyce, saw Town keep the game alive a 1-1. The numerical difference was then levelled when Town lost Trainor to a head injury that required stitches after a challenge from the City player that say two Town players collide. This seemed to help Town exploit the space this left on the pitch, and they sealed their first three points of the season when great interchange play between Morrow and Gray lead to David Hamilton being played through, and he made no mistake with the finish hammering the ball under the City keeper much to the delight of the travelling Town support.

James Lindsay
James Lindsay opened the scoring from the penalty spot.

Despite the performance not being their best, it was a thoroughly hard earned three points which sets Town on their way this season. Their next game in at home to Laurelvale on Saturday in the first round of the Irish Cup in a 1.30pm kick off.

Best on the night were young Darragh Gray who despite being ill all day put in a tireless performance, along with Boyce who made some super saves and Jonny Hoey at the back.

A special mention must go to the Town supporters who travelled to the game to cheer the team on, in particular the members of the ladies team who came down. Your support as always is greatly appreciated from the players and management team. We hope to see a lot of you again on Saturday if you are free.

Town Squad: Tyler Boyce, Nathan Crozier, Jonny Hoey, Robin Carson (C), Matthew Johnston, Simon Freeburn, Adam Glenn, Darragh Gray, James Lindsay, Bill Morrow, Aaron Greenaway. Subs: Adam Wing, Davy Trainor, David Hamilton