Ladies Remain Unbeaten

​Wednesday saw Newtown Forest ladies travel to The Arena on match night 10 in this South 2 clash. After a bruising encounter with Portadown on Monday Lurgan made a number of changes to the starting line up and with a semi final v Ambassadors still to come the squad knew they would be tested to the full. Lurgan began with a good pace and made several chances but couldn’t make the breakthrough until 26th minute when top scorer Kerry Taggart broke the deadlock. Newtown to their credit didn’t stop and had a few half chances but they didn’t really trouble Emma McClements in the home goal. With 37 minutes on the clock Newtown again got behind the Town back line and this time they made no mistake scoring a well deserved equaliser. Just when it was looking like the half would end 1-1 Kerry broke away down the left and found striker Dani Creaney who made no mistake giving Town a slender lead at half time. Lurgan Town Ladies 2 Newtown Forest Ladies 1.

After what can only be described as a frank exchange at half time from Town management the girls knew they would have to lift their game. With only one minute on the clock striker Dani scored her second to give Town some breathing space. With 55 minutes on the clock Dede Brady replaced Lauren Thompson. Three minutes later and Tina Brush found herself free inside the box and she made no mistake to put Town 4-1 up. 60 minutes in and Steph Potts replaced Kerry. Town made a number of chances but couldn’t find their way past the away keeper who held everything that was hit at her. On 65 minutes captain Tracy Orr replaced Caz Laird. Sub Steph grabbed a goal on 80 minutes when she pounced from inside the six yard box to score Town’s fifths and bring up 100 in all competitions.

Final score Lurgan Town ladies 5 Newtown Forest ladies 1..

Manager Davy Welshman “Tonight at times we made simple mistakes which on another night we would have found the killer pass or a shot that would have beaten the keeper but tonight it didn’t really click. It’s hard to criticise a team who have scored 100 goals and conceded only 7 goals in all competitions but we have set ourselves high standards which tonight we didn’t reach. Newtown to their credit came and played football against us, they where not content to sit back and try and frustrate us and they could have been 2-1 up only for the post saving us. Andy is doing a great job there and I have to say we were all very humbled as they gave the girls a guard of honour as they came into the pitch for securing the league title last week. We don’t have much time to rest as we have another huge game on Friday with a place in the final of the Mid Ulster cup up against Newry up for grabs. Its been a busy week but I know the girls will already be looking forward to Friday and a game against a team in South 1 who did the double last year in South 2”.

Team: E McClements, R Davis, C O’Hare, C Laird, L Thompson, L Goodman, L Kelly (C) L Gibson, K Taggart, T Brush, D Creaney.

Subs, D Brady, T Orr, S Potts.

Friday’s semi final v Ambassadors will have a 7 o clock kick off on the grass pitch at The Arena, there was a fantastic crowd down for the quarter final on Monday and we would ask for everyone to come down and support the Ladies as they look to secure a place in another final.