Town Remain Unbeaten

Town leading scorers: Kerry Taggart and Steph Potts

Lurgan Town ladies traveled to Strangford Avenue playing fields in Belfast to take on second placed Newtown Ladies in Match night six. Missing several players either away on holidays or injured, the girls had only 11 fit players, and yet again the squad would be tested to its limit. Louise Kelly wore the armband in absence of Tracy Orr and it was fitting after only 7 minutes that she broke the deadlock. A great corner from Dede Brady was met by Louise as she headed the ladies into the lead. We didn’t have long to wait for the second as on 15 mins Steph Potts went one on one with the keeper and produced a sublime chip to make it 2 nil. Louise doubled her tally on 34 mins when she let fly with a 25 yard stunner…the goal of the game. The girls kept Newtown in their own half but couldn’t get the fourth before the half time whistle went. Half time Newtown Ladies 0 Lurgan Town ladies 3..

The second half began with the sun now behind Town and from the off Gibson, Goodman and Kelly from midfield took up where they left off; dominating the middle of the park.. With 57 mins on the clock the popular Lauren Thompson scored her first goal for the Ladies playing this time up front instead of her usual position at right back. The girls quickly won the re-start and after more pressure on 59 mins Louise got her hat trick yet again another headed goal which led to the whole team running to congratulate her. The girls where now well on top and keeper Emma McClements was rarely troubled as Fiona Welshman marshaled her back four of Laird, Lynn and Davis. With 25 mins left though Rachel Davis limped off leaving the girls down to 10 players. With only 8 mins remaining Steph scored her second and wrapped up another great performance from the ladies. Final score Newtown 0 Lurgan Town ladies 6…

As the girls head into a few weeks break they sit proudly at the top of the league 5 points clear of PSNI in second place. They have now scored 48 goals conceding only 2 and winning all 8 games they have played.

Manager Davy Welshman said “Yet again tonight the squad was asked questions and they responded in the best way possible. We dominated the game from start to finish and with holidays and injuries I had to move a few girls around. I’m delighted that the girls adapted to the change and gave 100% to secure the win and another clean sheet. Tonight though football is second in our minds as we learned that Steph Potts brother Ryan is in intensive care fighting for his life, our thoughts and prayers from all at Lurgan Town are with Steph and her family at this time. Steph dedicated her goals to him tonight and we hope in some small way it brings comfort to her and family”.

The girls now have no game until July 4th when they travel to Premier league side Mid Ulster ladies in the 3rd of the Irish Cup.

Town Team: E McClements, C Lynn, F Welshman, C Laird, R Davis, L Thompson, L Gibson, L Goodman, L Kelly capt, D Brady, S Potts.