Two Wins Out of Two

Ladies side who defeated Killyleagh along with mascot Jessica Pugh from the girls academy

The Arena was the setting for the first ever home senior ladies game tonight against Killyleagh in a South 2 clash… Lurgan had won their first league game 3 nil away to Banbridge on the opening night of the season, their opponents had won one game and lost the other. With a strong wind blowing into their face Lurgan kicked off and soon settled into a brisk passing game.. The away side adopted a high line and pushed forward at every opportunity in a a attempt to stifle the Lurgan attack.. The breakthrough came 10 mins in when Kerry Taggart beat the off side trap and coolly lifted the ball over the advancing keepers head to record the first ever goal at home by the Ladies. We didn’t have to wait long for the second as 12 minutes later the impressive Taggart double hers and the home teams lead. On 39 minutes the home team didn’t deal with a rare Killyleagh attack which resulted in the away side winning a corner. This was taken and with the use of the wind it sailed into the top corner of the net to leave the home side shocked. The girls immediately picked themselves up and went down the pitch and Taggart completed her hat trick with 41 mins on the clock.. The home side weren’t done there as they won the re start and after some good passing Potts squared the ball to Gibson who made no mistake to put the home side 4-1 up.. With only seconds remaining a long shot from the Killyleagh striker caught the wind and went over keeper McClements to make the half time score Lurgan Town Ladies 4-2 Killyleagh.

The second half commenced with the same flurry as the first half finished with Potts scoring after 30 seconds coolly slotting the ball into the net. Manager Davy Welshman rang the changes 50 mins in with Harper and Brush replacing Goodman and Creaney. Brushs’ impact was immediate as three minutes later she beat the offside trap to beat the keeper and put the Ladies 6-2 up. With 60 mins on the  clock Taggart bagged her fourth goal and Lurgan’s 7th. Brush scored her second on 83rd minute and Steph Potts completed the scoring with a fantastic diving header to leave the final score Lurgan Town Ladies 9-2 Killyleagh 2.

Manager Davy Welshman commented “Davy Hodgen and myself where disappointed in the manner in which we conceded the two goals and before half time. During the break the girls where left in no doubt it wasn’t acceptable. They came out second half in a determined manner and showed the large crowd their intent with barely a minute on the clock. We turn our attention to Friday 13th May when we travel Dromara Village for our next league game”

On behalf of all the players and coaches at the club we want to send our congratulations to the men’s reserve side tonight as they won their league and promotion, another trophy heading to the Arena after the juniors success this week… #heartonthesleeve

Squad: E McClements, D Douglas, T Orr, L Kelly, D Brady, C O Hare, L Gibson, L Goodman, D Creaney, S Potts, K Taggart. Subs.. T Brush, E Harper, C Laird, C Lynn, L Thompson.