Swifts Hit Ten

The Swifts returned to action on Saturday after a 3 week break to play Gilford Crusaders Reserves at Arena. This was the Swifts final league home game of the season.

Callum Watkins got the Swifts up and running when scoring from a Morgan Smyth pass after 3 minutes. However, Gilford were causing the Swifts defence lots of problems and within minutes they equalised after a mix up. In fact Gilford could’ve took the lead but stand in keeper Jack O’Neill made a good save. Then Morgan Smyth received a pass from Tim Millen and hit a stunning 30 yard shot passed the Gilford keeper. Matthew Johnston rattled the post with a long range pile driver. At 2-1 with 35 minutes played Lurgan changed formation to stop the Gilford attacking threat by moving to a flat back four with Matthew Johnston moving into left back. The change also increased Lurgans attacking threat with Callum Watkins getting his second of the game when scoring from Ryan Blacoe’s assist. With Tim Millen moving more central he collected the ball on the halfway line and drove through the Gilford midfield to play a superb defence splitting pass to Callum to score a first half hat trick. Just before the halftime whistle Gilford got a dubious second. H-T 4-2

The second half was all about the Swifts attacking threat but their defence was also superb with Smyth, Scorah, Purdy and Johnston dealing with any Gilford attacks. In midfield Aaron Winters was working hard to help get Lurgan on the front foot. Aaron was fouled on the edge of the penalty area and Lewis McKinley curled a low free kick around the wall which the keeper got a hand to but the ball fell to Simon Wilson to tap home. Then goal number 6 was scored by Lewis McKinley as he collected the ball from Alexander Black he jinked his way past 3 defenders to score a super individual goal. Morgan Smyth received a pass from Callum and made his way to a one on one with the keeper which Morgan won to score his second of the game. Goals 8 and 9 for the Swifts were scored by subs as both players scored their first senior goals. First up was Ollie Millar when he received the ball from a Gilford attempted clearance and made his way into the box to calmly score. Next up was Alec Wheelan scoring from Tim Millen’s 3rd assist of the game. In fact Tim was unlucky not to get a goal himself as he had 2 shots saved by the keeper. The Swifts final and 10th goal of the game was scored by Simon Wilson when assisted by Lewis McKinley he dinked the keeper to score 2 in the game. F-T 10-2

This win meant the Swifts were undefeated at the Arena in the league with 9 wins, 1 draw by scoring 45 goals in the 10 games. It was a great all round team performance as it has been all season. The Swifts finish their season with an away trip on Wednesday night to Scarva. The young Swifts team have had an amazing debut season so one final push to hopefully get promotion in their first season. However, it will be a difficult final game against a strong Scarva team. Finally, just to wish Jack O’Neill good luck as he played his last game before moving to America. All the best from all at Lurgan Town FC.