Great Attitude & Spirit

This weekend saw Town make the short journey up the motorway to Dungannon. The Lurgan boys had some making up to do after being on the wrong end of a high scoring cup game only a matter of weeks previous to the same opposition in the cup. Town found themselves behind after only 10 minutes when the home number 10, who had been searching for space from the off was able to slip in around the back of the Lurgan defence and on finding himself one on one with the keeper he made sure of the outcome. Town dragged themselves back into the game soon after when Ethan Gorman won the ball in the middle of the park and with great pass released Josh Johnston down the right wing who delivered an inch perfect cross into the heart of the box which was met in mid air by the head of Spencer Young who picked his spot and dispatched with ease with a goal that wouldn’t have looked out of place in the premiership. There were great battles going on all over the park with the holding midfield pairing of Aidan Cassidy and Ben Cullen doing a great job of breaking up play and looking to drive Town forward at every opportunity and the second goal came from such a situation when Aidan won the ball deep in the Town half threaded the ball through to Ethan Gorman who in turn quickly released Spencer Young high and wide further up the pitch, Spencer still had plenty of work to do and using his strength and pace took the ball beyond the opposition defence and buried it into the back of the net past the out coming keeper. It wasn’t all one way traffic though and the Lurgan lads had to be on their toes to maintain their lead with Dungannon probing to find a way through with the defence of Tom Leatham, Adam Vennard, Kyle Thompson and James Maguire working hard as the last line of defence but despite their best efforts Dungannon almost had an equaliser when the industrious number 10 again managed to slip in behind the back line only for James Hamilton to pull off a magnificent one on one save to take the visitors into the lead at half time.

The second half started with a little less energy from both teams although that picked up as the half went on with James Hamilton again denying the home side with a one on one save. The longer the match went on both teams were cancelling each other out and it was difficult to see where another goal would come from. With about 15 minutes to go it looked as though it would be Town that would claim the next goal when Spencer Young found himself through on the keeper only to find his shot drift wide. Jake Turner cwas unfortunate not to wrap it up at the end when Ethan Gorman released him with a well weighted pass but Jake could only see his shot go into the arms of the out coming keeper. The Lurgan Lads held firm until the final whistle and a earn a hard fought 3 points.

Today saw a great game of football that could have went either way with both teams battling throughout. The referee allowed play to flow as much as possible and through that created an environment where football could be played leaving himself with very little to do. Credit to both teams for playing a hard but fair game. Well done to Town who for the second week in a row put in a performance worthy of the result, showing a great attitude and team spirit.

Team: James Hamilton, Tom Leatham, Adam Vennard, Kyle Thompson, James Maguire, Ben Cullen, Aidan Cassidy, Ronan Watkins, Spencer Young (2), Josh Johnston, Ethan Gorman, Jake Turner, Mark Christie.