U19s Come From Behind

Lurgan Town U19s played Rossowen in the league on Saturday morning.

Match kicked off and Lurgan were very sluggish and a bit disjointed. Rossowen being a big physical side played the ball over the top at every opportunity. With Lurgan not exactly being competitive the boys found themselves 3 nil down within the first 25 minutes. Coaches scratching their heads as it looked as the lads had never played together before, under hit passes, passes going to straight to the opposition and a lack of intensity led to giving themselves an up hill battle. On the half hour mark Alex Wood made the sort if tackle that had being missing in the game from Lurgan and oddly this seemed to galvanise the boys into actually playing football.

Within minutes Lurgan had pulled one back, Alex Woods made a run off the centre backs and was found by a ball from Denver Eillott and Alex fired the ball to the keeper’s right. Soon after a similar play with Denver breaking through one on one with the keeper. The keeper stood his ground and Denver stepped inside, but with the keeper pulling him down Denver still managed to force the ball home. 2-3 at half time.

The second half kicked off and within seconds Lurgan had the ball in the net to level. Alex Woods slotting home as the ball played across goal. Lurgan had 4 or five opportunities to go ahead with poor finishing rather than good saves ensuring the score remained level. With Rossowen still employing the ball over the top, this was still causing the Lurgan defence many problems. It was from such play that Rossowen scored their fourth, with the defenders failing to clear the high ball and although the Rossowen player was offside he scored with a delicate lob over the keeper, the goal stood as the referee judged that he was onside.

Lurgan again looked for an equaliser and after nice play down the left between Niall and Denver a shot driven which the keeper parried at his near post where Denver was on hand to turn back out towards to keep the ball in play but the keeper caught him with the second attempt to gather the ball and brought him down, PENALTY. Alex Woods slotted it home for the equaliser and his hatrick.

With still 20minutes to go Lurgan had numerous opportunities to score. A free kick from Niall rocketed off the cross bar, however we were wasteful and made it easy for their goalkeeper to save. It wasn’t long before Lurgan went in front with Denver bringing the ball in from the right and although other players were in space he had the courage to slot the ball past the keeper into the left side of the net.

Lurgan still were not satisfied and searched for a 6th, Alex Woods drove into the box only to be clipped and another penalty awarded. Niall slotted the ball home from the spot and Lurgan had the points in the bag.

MOTM: Alex Woods