Late Goals Cost Ladies

On a warm evening at Billy Neill Playing Fields, Lurgan Town Ladies fought back from 4-1 down against Comber Rec Ladies to draw level, but then conceded two late goals to lose 6-4.

Lurgan Town got off to a great start when a lovely ball from Caroline O’Hare put Megan Cinnamond through, and with just the keeper to beat, she cooly scored to make it 1-0 to the visitors within the first 5 minutes. About 10 minutes later, Kerry Taggart shot wide, but it was Comber who had most of the possession, and they soon had a shot from distance which keeper Rachel Davis had to push round the post. On the half hour mark, after sustained pressure, Comber shot narrowly over the bar, and just a minute later they scored their equaliser. Soon afterwards, Comber took a 2-1 lead, when a cross wasn’t closed down, leaving the Lurgan keeper with no chance. Lurgan picked up their game, with Elisha Donnelly working the ball up into the box, but she was unable to convert without support. Young Jess Wheelan got through on goal, but just pushed the ball too far ahead, allowing the Comber keeper to collect. Lurgan were then dealt a blow when Louise O’Neill was deemed to have handled the ball in the box, and Comber’s penalty made it 3-1. After more battling, Dede Brady had a shot on goal, and a cross from Kerry almost forced an own goal. But Lurgan couldn’t break through.

In the second half, Comber started strongly, with a shot off the post being put in the net on the rebound, but it was ruled offside. Then just a minute later, a corner was half-cleared and Comber scored from the loose ball to make it 4-1. But the Lurgan team are used to being behind, and started to create more chances. A corner from Elisha was headed on target by Tracy Orr, but saved. Then Jess and Kerry got the ball through to Elisha, who side-footed it past the keeper for 4-2. Keeper Rachel made a great save as the ball was heading for the bottom corner, to keep come-back hopes alive, and just a couple of minutes later, Kerry made a run up the wing, and crossed it for Elisha to slide the ball in for 4-3. On 70 minutes, Caroline passed it through to Kerry, who beat the offside and scored the equaliser.
Lurgan had got themselves right back in the game, but unfortunately, left-back Lauren Thompson fell over awkwardly on her ankle and had to leave the field. The team readjusted their shape, but seemed to lose some focus and energy, and conceded two goals in the final 10 minutes, to agonisingly lose all 3 points.

Naturally, manager Johnny Lewis was disappointed. “I’m gutted to lose the way we did, after getting back to 4 each. But the team will regroup and go again. I’m praying that our goalkeeper and left-back injuries aren’t too bad and that they will be back very soon. We would like to thank Comber Rec Ladies for their hospitality.”

Next up for the ladies is a League Cup match away to Ballymena United Allstars at Michelin Athletic Club on Wednesday 6 June 7:30pm KO. All support welcome!

Team: R Davis, L Thompson, T Orr, L O’Neill, Z Davison, M Cinnamond, C O’Hare, E Donnelly, J Wheelan, D Brady, K Taggart. Sub: C Young